How to Change a Flat Tire: The Right Tools and the Right Method
- The Right Gear
- The Right Method
The Right Gear
Firstly, have these items in your car:
- Lug Wrench
- Fully Inflated Spare Tire
- Owner’s Manual
Misplaced them? Never issued them in the first place? Pick up new ones, making sure the spare is regularly inflated to your manufacturer’s recommended PSI.
You’ll also want the following on-hand:
- Rain Poncho
- 2″x6” Wood to Secure the Jack
- Wheel Wedges
The Right Method
Okay, now onto the good stuff:
- Bring your vehicle to a safe location. Slow down and pick out a level, straight stretch of road with a wide shoulder.
- Turn on your hazard lights before getting out.
- Apply the parking brake, even on level ground, to prevent rolling.
- Apply the wheel wedges. They go in front of the front tires when you’re changing a rear tire or behind the rear tires when you’re changing at the front.
- Place the jack beneath the frame. Look for a section of exposed metal, and follow the instructions in your owner’s manual.
- Place a small cut of 2×6” wood beneath the jack to prevent it settling, then start to lift. Remember never to place any part of your body under the vehicle.
- Unscrew the lug nuts – once loose, it’s easy to unscrew them by hand.
- Remove the flat by gripping the treads and pulling gently toward you. Set it on its side to prevent rolling.
- Mount the spare on the lug nuts, then tighten them by hand until they are all on.
- Lower the vehicle slightly and tighten the lug nuts with a wrench.
- Bring the vehicle to the ground.
- Replace the hubcap. It may not fit – if so, stow it with your flat.
- Check the pressure of the spare to make sure it’s safe to drive on.
- Drive to a service center. Remember, spares are meant to be temporary and shouldn’t be driven at high speeds.
Need Any Further Advice? Simply Contact Gurnee Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM
Whether talking to our finance department or visiting our service department we’re always here to help. Don’t hesitate to contact us today if you’d like to find out more, or come into our dealership in Gurnee today!
More from Our Blog
When your vehicle is in good working order, it’s easy to let those oil changes and tire rotations slide. But, keeping up on routine car maintenance can make a huge difference in the performance and longevity of your vehicle. What should you include on your car maintenance checklist? Gurnee Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM is here to help you keep…
When you visit the dealership, you have a variety of choices to make, from the type of vehicle you want to the trim level you desire. One area that may seem like an afterthought for some drivers is exterior color. However, did you know that there have been studies that show that your choice of…
Few streets are squeaky clean, and it’s not uncommon to run into a sharp nail or jagged rock in transit. So what happens if your tires start to look a little low? Take action! Gurnee CJDR can show you how to fix a flat tire with just a little tire puncture sealant. We’ll tell you…