How to Change a Flat Tire: The Right Tools and the Right Method
- The Right Gear
- The Right Method
The Right Gear
Firstly, have these items in your car:
- Lug Wrench
- Fully Inflated Spare Tire
- Owner’s Manual
Misplaced them? Never issued them in the first place? Pick up new ones, making sure the spare is regularly inflated to your manufacturer’s recommended PSI.
You’ll also want the following on-hand:
- Rain Poncho
- 2″x6” Wood to Secure the Jack
- Wheel Wedges
The Right Method
Okay, now onto the good stuff:
- Bring your vehicle to a safe location. Slow down and pick out a level, straight stretch of road with a wide shoulder.
- Turn on your hazard lights before getting out.
- Apply the parking brake, even on level ground, to prevent rolling.
- Apply the wheel wedges. They go in front of the front tires when you’re changing a rear tire or behind the rear tires when you’re changing at the front.
- Place the jack beneath the frame. Look for a section of exposed metal, and follow the instructions in your owner’s manual.
- Place a small cut of 2×6” wood beneath the jack to prevent it settling, then start to lift. Remember never to place any part of your body under the vehicle.
- Unscrew the lug nuts – once loose, it’s easy to unscrew them by hand.
- Remove the flat by gripping the treads and pulling gently toward you. Set it on its side to prevent rolling.
- Mount the spare on the lug nuts, then tighten them by hand until they are all on.
- Lower the vehicle slightly and tighten the lug nuts with a wrench.
- Bring the vehicle to the ground.
- Replace the hubcap. It may not fit – if so, stow it with your flat.
- Check the pressure of the spare to make sure it’s safe to drive on.
- Drive to a service center. Remember, spares are meant to be temporary and shouldn’t be driven at high speeds.
Need Any Further Advice? Simply Contact Gurnee Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM
Whether talking to our finance department or visiting our service department we’re always here to help. Don’t hesitate to contact us today if you’d like to find out more, or come into our dealership in Gurnee today!
More from Our Blog
The 2019 Jeep Compass is an SUV with an adventurous pedigree. While it may be Trail Rated, the Compass offers Kenosha and Libertyville drivers plush interior appointments to keep each excursion comfortable and connected. Learn more about the interior features of the 2019 Jeep Compass before taking it for a spin at Gurnee Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM. Compass Inventory…
If you’re experiencing issues with your car starting, or turning the key in your ignition, it may be possible that your steering wheel is locked. But don’t worry! This issue usually happens by accident, and it’s a relatively easy fix. If you need to unlock your steering wheel, here are the steps you can take…
Many drivers may assume that a car’s main source of power is the battery, but in fact, it’s purpose is to start the vehicle. An alternator is what keeps a car running. The alternator is an important component as it functions as a generator by utilizing the engine as a source of energy, which then…