How to Change a Flat Tire: The Right Tools and the Right Method
- The Right Gear
- The Right Method
The Right Gear
Firstly, have these items in your car:
- Lug Wrench
- Fully Inflated Spare Tire
- Owner’s Manual
Misplaced them? Never issued them in the first place? Pick up new ones, making sure the spare is regularly inflated to your manufacturer’s recommended PSI.
You’ll also want the following on-hand:
- Rain Poncho
- 2″x6” Wood to Secure the Jack
- Wheel Wedges
The Right Method
Okay, now onto the good stuff:
- Bring your vehicle to a safe location. Slow down and pick out a level, straight stretch of road with a wide shoulder.
- Turn on your hazard lights before getting out.
- Apply the parking brake, even on level ground, to prevent rolling.
- Apply the wheel wedges. They go in front of the front tires when you’re changing a rear tire or behind the rear tires when you’re changing at the front.
- Place the jack beneath the frame. Look for a section of exposed metal, and follow the instructions in your owner’s manual.
- Place a small cut of 2×6” wood beneath the jack to prevent it settling, then start to lift. Remember never to place any part of your body under the vehicle.
- Unscrew the lug nuts – once loose, it’s easy to unscrew them by hand.
- Remove the flat by gripping the treads and pulling gently toward you. Set it on its side to prevent rolling.
- Mount the spare on the lug nuts, then tighten them by hand until they are all on.
- Lower the vehicle slightly and tighten the lug nuts with a wrench.
- Bring the vehicle to the ground.
- Replace the hubcap. It may not fit – if so, stow it with your flat.
- Check the pressure of the spare to make sure it’s safe to drive on.
- Drive to a service center. Remember, spares are meant to be temporary and shouldn’t be driven at high speeds.
Need Any Further Advice? Simply Contact Gurnee Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM
Whether talking to our finance department or visiting our service department we’re always here to help. Don’t hesitate to contact us today if you’d like to find out more, or come into our dealership in Gurnee today!
More from Our Blog
Big components, like the engine and transmission, can have a huge impact on your car’s performance. But you might be surprised by how big of an impact a tiny spark plug can have as well! What are the bad spark plug symptoms that all drivers should know? In this guide, we’ll walk you through some…
The 2019 Chrysler Pacifica may be most well-suited to hauling passengers, but when push comes to shove, it’s more than capable of handling heavy cargo. If you’ve been wondering how much the Pacifica can tow, then wonder no longer. Across all six of its trim levels, the Chrysler Pacifica towing capacity tops out at 3,600…
Road salt may be an effective de-icing tool to keep sidewalks and highways safe, but it can sure be a hassle for your car! So when the ice and snow start to fall, it’s important to learn how to protect your car from road salt to prevent potential damage. Luckily, it’s simple to keep your…