How to Change a Flat Tire: The Right Tools and the Right Method
- The Right Gear
- The Right Method
The Right Gear
Firstly, have these items in your car:
- Lug Wrench
- Fully Inflated Spare Tire
- Owner’s Manual
Misplaced them? Never issued them in the first place? Pick up new ones, making sure the spare is regularly inflated to your manufacturer’s recommended PSI.
You’ll also want the following on-hand:
- Rain Poncho
- 2″x6” Wood to Secure the Jack
- Wheel Wedges
The Right Method
Okay, now onto the good stuff:
- Bring your vehicle to a safe location. Slow down and pick out a level, straight stretch of road with a wide shoulder.
- Turn on your hazard lights before getting out.
- Apply the parking brake, even on level ground, to prevent rolling.
- Apply the wheel wedges. They go in front of the front tires when you’re changing a rear tire or behind the rear tires when you’re changing at the front.
- Place the jack beneath the frame. Look for a section of exposed metal, and follow the instructions in your owner’s manual.
- Place a small cut of 2×6” wood beneath the jack to prevent it settling, then start to lift. Remember never to place any part of your body under the vehicle.
- Unscrew the lug nuts – once loose, it’s easy to unscrew them by hand.
- Remove the flat by gripping the treads and pulling gently toward you. Set it on its side to prevent rolling.
- Mount the spare on the lug nuts, then tighten them by hand until they are all on.
- Lower the vehicle slightly and tighten the lug nuts with a wrench.
- Bring the vehicle to the ground.
- Replace the hubcap. It may not fit – if so, stow it with your flat.
- Check the pressure of the spare to make sure it’s safe to drive on.
- Drive to a service center. Remember, spares are meant to be temporary and shouldn’t be driven at high speeds.
Need Any Further Advice? Simply Contact Gurnee Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM
Whether talking to our finance department or visiting our service department we’re always here to help. Don’t hesitate to contact us today if you’d like to find out more, or come into our dealership in Gurnee today!
More from Our Blog
Hurricane Harbor Six Flags is one of the most exciting water parks in the entire Illinois area, full of thrilling rides and dazzling attractions. From the kid-friendly Buccaneer Bay to the adrenaline-surging Dive Bomber, adventurers of any age can have an unforgettable time at Hurricane Harbor! Contact Us Water Park Rides What kinds of rides…
Our Service Department Schedule Service How to change a flat tire – it’s knowledge all drivers should have, and yet it’s a skill frequently spurned. That’s okay. Let’s go ahead and learn about: The Right Gear The Right Method The Right Gear Firstly, have these items in your car: Jack Lug Wrench Fully Inflated…
The 2019 Jeep Cherokee reviews have a lot of heavy praise for the latest model. Between the brand new look and impressive power under the hood, the updated Cherokee has set the new standard on the modern SUV. Not only does the Cherokee look bolder than ever with its redesigned grille, but the addition of…