How to Change a Flat Tire: The Right Tools and the Right Method
- The Right Gear
- The Right Method
The Right Gear
Firstly, have these items in your car:
- Lug Wrench
- Fully Inflated Spare Tire
- Owner’s Manual
Misplaced them? Never issued them in the first place? Pick up new ones, making sure the spare is regularly inflated to your manufacturer’s recommended PSI.
You’ll also want the following on-hand:
- Rain Poncho
- 2″x6” Wood to Secure the Jack
- Wheel Wedges
The Right Method
Okay, now onto the good stuff:
- Bring your vehicle to a safe location. Slow down and pick out a level, straight stretch of road with a wide shoulder.
- Turn on your hazard lights before getting out.
- Apply the parking brake, even on level ground, to prevent rolling.
- Apply the wheel wedges. They go in front of the front tires when you’re changing a rear tire or behind the rear tires when you’re changing at the front.
- Place the jack beneath the frame. Look for a section of exposed metal, and follow the instructions in your owner’s manual.
- Place a small cut of 2×6” wood beneath the jack to prevent it settling, then start to lift. Remember never to place any part of your body under the vehicle.
- Unscrew the lug nuts – once loose, it’s easy to unscrew them by hand.
- Remove the flat by gripping the treads and pulling gently toward you. Set it on its side to prevent rolling.
- Mount the spare on the lug nuts, then tighten them by hand until they are all on.
- Lower the vehicle slightly and tighten the lug nuts with a wrench.
- Bring the vehicle to the ground.
- Replace the hubcap. It may not fit – if so, stow it with your flat.
- Check the pressure of the spare to make sure it’s safe to drive on.
- Drive to a service center. Remember, spares are meant to be temporary and shouldn’t be driven at high speeds.
Need Any Further Advice? Simply Contact Gurnee Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM
Whether talking to our finance department or visiting our service department we’re always here to help. Don’t hesitate to contact us today if you’d like to find out more, or come into our dealership in Gurnee today!
More from Our Blog
Scouting out compact SUVs in Libertyville or Crystal Lake? Let the experts do the work for you with Jeep Compass reviews! Kbb.com sums it up well: “The Jeep Compass has style, substance and impressive technology, all wrapped up in an compact SUV form with a starting price around $22,000.” Learn More About the Compass View…
The RAM 1500 may be well-known as a rugged powerhouse that’s always up for a challenge, but inside, it possesses a surprisingly luxurious side. The RAM 1500 is packed with premium materials, smart technology, and practical design features that enhance your every drive. Take a look at some of the highlights of the RAM 1500…
The Chrysler Pacifica is an award-winning model, nabbing the top honor of 2018 Family Car of the Year from Cars.com, so the choice to buy a Pacifica is easy. The real question is: Which one of the six Chrysler Pacifica trim levels will you choose? View Pacifica Inventory Contact Us Pacifica L The…