Towing Safely Near Gurnee
When you are towing a boat or trailer, you are not just responsible for one vehicle on the road, which makes safe towing so critical. Whether you’re towing with the Ram 1500 or the Jeep Grand Cherokee, the experts at Gurnee Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM are here to show you how to tow safely before heading out on your next job or adventure.
Click Photo to Enlarge
Towing Tips to Keep in Mind
- Towing capacity is set by the manufacturer: The amount your vehicle can tow is determined by its manufacturer. Towing capacity cannot be increased by outfitting your vehicle with aftermarket parts.
- Stopping time will increase: Because of the increased vehicle configuration and weight, you will need more time to stop when towing. Additionally, it will require more time and space to maneuver around and pass other vehicles.
- Remember other capacities: In addition to towing capacity, be aware of your vehicle’s gross axle weight rating, weight-distributing maximum trailer capacity, hitch receiver weight capacity, and other important figures.
- Be aware of your vehicle’s condition: It is only safe to tow if your vehicle and trailer are both in good mechanical condition. Check your brakes, wheels, tires, drivetrain, steering, suspension, and electrical system.
Before Your Trip
Follow this checklist before you hit the open road:
- Ensure the trailer is properly connected to the hitch.
- Make sure the wheel or stand for the trailer is in the drive or up position.
- Check brake lights and signals.
- Connect the trailer’s electrical wires to the vehicle.
Consult the Team at Gurnee Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM
If you would like to have your vehicle inspected by a professional before you begin to tow, set up an appointment with the service center at Gurnee Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM. We can make sure everything is in proper working order so you can tow safely.